Skip to main content

Small Great Things-Jodi Picoult

Small great things! Smaaalll Great things! Oh Jodi Picoult. I must admit that it  took me some time to finish this book. I would say the reason for this would be the contents of this book; there's a lot of information to digest, to understand, to sympathize with . . . and even relate to?

Blurb
"When a newborn baby dies after a routine hospital procedure, there is no doubt about who will be held responsible: the nurse who had been banned from looking after him by his father. 

What the nurse , her lawyer and the father of the child cannot know is how death will irrevocably change all of their lives , in ways both expected and not. 

Small Great Things is about prejudice and power; it is about that which divides us and unites us."

This book tackles prejudice and racism,homophobia in the most phenomenal ways. Three characters Ruth Jefferson an African American nurse, Turk Bauer the white supremacist and Kennedy, Ruths lawyer and baby Davis. 

There were many instances where I found myself recognizing a number of uncomfortable truths from each of the characters mentioned in this book. Jodi Picoult's writing is incredibly amazing, she illustrates prejudice's, racism and power really well and for that reason I'm glad that I didn't consume this novel in one sitting. I needed time to understand and fully take in what I was reading.
 
While reading, I found myself wanting to tell everyone I came into contact with about the contents of this novel. About a week ago I found myself telling my Friend about "Small Great Things",I went on and on about the story and the realizations I was coming in contact. The most important point that I could not get over and could not stop talking about had to be my complete surprise that a fictional novel could feel so factual.

So there I was on lunch with my Friend, emphasizing that this story is so intriguing and seems incredibly factual and relatable when in fact it's fiction. . . My friend stops me and says
"Friend that is because somewhere in the world this is someone's factual story". . .

I must admit a painful truth❤. I am interested in finding out how everyone else found the contents of Small Great Things did it make you uncomfortable? Could you relate?

What did we love about this book?
It is so real, every detail on every page feels extremely real, its the type of book that makes you take a second look, a real look at prejudice, racism and power. I also felt as though Jodi Picoult researched what she was writing about and to my surprise when I flipped to the end of the book I found a bibliography! Great surprise!

What did we not love about this book?
There were a few chapters that seemed to drag a bit, you would have Ruth's account of a situation, then a chapter with Kennedy's perspective, it was a little distracting or confusing at times.
Favorite Quotes 
“What if the puzzle of the world was a shape you didn't fit into? And the only way to survive was to mutilate yourself, carve away your corners, sand yourself down, modify yourself to fit? How come we haven't been able to change the puzzle instead?” 

“Equality is treating everyone the same. But equity is taking differences into account, so everyone has a chance to succeed.”

Happy reading Bibliophiles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novels in Verse hmmm? "We Come Apart"-Brian Conaghan and Sarah Crossan

Hello fellow book lovers!  So this week I came across my first Novel In Verse! Titled: "We Come Apart" Written by Brian Conaghan and Sarah Crossan . I wont lie to you,  for the mere fact that it was the first time that I had ever read a novel with this structure,  it took me a day or two to get into the book. However, I quickly fell in-love with the characters, the story and the structure. The book is split into three parts and as mentioned the structure is in verse.  We come apart has two main characters, Nicu who has emigrated from Romania, and is awaiting to be married without his consent. The second main character is Jess who comes from a home plagued with domestic violence, her mother is dating a man named Terry who is abusive in many different ways, and he often goes to the extent of making Jess film the abuse. Jess and Nicu have their daily struggles which bring them together and which also stand to separate them.  What I loved about most

First post cant be less than "Everything Everything"

Everything Everthing -Nicola Yoon   “Sometimes I reread my favorite books from back to front. I start with the last chapter and read backward until I get to the beginning. When you read this way, characters go from hope to despair, from self-knowledge to doubt. In love stories, couples start out as lovers and end as strangers. Coming-of-age books become stories of losing your way. Your favorite characters come back to life.” ― Nicola Yoon , Everything, Everything This amazing book was referred to me by a friend and colleague,  and I must add that I did not need much convincing after watching a snippet of the trailer of the movie that cannot come soon enough. this book only took me a day to read because of its structure, its super reader friendly and really grabs your heart and doesn't let you go.  Without giving any of the goodness away, this young adult fiction novel looks at the life of Madeline "Maddy" Whittier who suffers from a

James Patterson- Middle School The Worst Days Of My Life

A good day to you Bibliophiles! today I did something a little different as you can see! I have wondered about my sisters obsession with James Patterson's 'Middle School' books and today I finally got it. We watched Middle School:The Worst Years Of My Life based on one of James Patterson's books, I have to say I thought I would hate it but turns out in a couple of hours I would be blogging about it!  So basically this particular book and movie is about a character named Rafe who has been expelled from two schools, his last option is a middle school that has too many rules that he cant understand or come to terms with. According to my sister and according to the movie he constantly communicates with a guy called Leo. It is Leo's character that caught my attention , at first Leo looks like that friend that's always by your side, helps you make plans and keeps your head in the game. While watching the movie my sister kept complaining about how different ev