Skip to main content

Refilwe! Refilwe! Let down your locks so I can climb up the scraggy rocks

Image by Noluthando
Refilwe-Zukiswa Wanner
"Refilwe Refilwe Let down your locks so I can climb up the scraggy rocks"!

This African retelling of the story of Rapunzel in isiZulu brings a huge smile to my face for a number of reasons. One of them being the beautiful retelling of this story in a vernacular language and the second reason has to be this beautiful image of Rapunzel with beautiful dreadlocks!!! As a young girl I remember my granny telling me many different short stories, about hippos, leopards, zebras and the reasons they had their spots, stripes or tusks. It was quite an exciting time and cannot have imagined my childhood without it! I think its important that this book is available for all the young girls like me who remember tying towels around their heads trying to be like Rapunzel, now they can aspire to be as beautiful as Refilwe with her beautiful African locks!.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Five People You Meet in Heaven-Mitch Albom♡

Happy New Year!!! Good day Bibliophiles I promised you this review so here it is. . . I have a new favorite book of all time. This book is more than just a fictional title, this book made me stop and think of all of the interactions I have had with people that I have come into contact with.  The Five People You Meet in Heaven follows the story of an elderly mans life and death. This man goes by the name " Eddie ", often called Eddie Maintenance because of his name tag. Eddie dies while trying to save a little girl at his place of work, and thus starts a journey through Heaven. In his heaven, he meets five people, some strangers, some people he knows very well. These five people teach him lessons and  help him understand the impact he may have had in their lives, and the impact they had on his.  What did we love about it? Mitch Albom is a great writer! I got through this book in three days and this is because I really needed to know who Eddie was go...

Letters to the Lost-Brigid Kemmerer

Good Morning Bibliophiles!!! I found it! I loved it! I read it in two days! Bibliophiles this is an amazing book, it gave me a good share of good "feels". There are many themes that are focused on in this book, these themes include grief, the death of a parent, and the repercussions of  alcoholism.  This book introduces you to Declan Murphy a high school student serving community service, and Juliet Young a high school student who has recently lost her mother and finds comfort in writing her mother letters and leaving them at her gravestone. Declan and Juliet cross paths at a cemetery both for different reasons, but these different reasons are what bring these two characters together.  What did we love about it? Can I say that Bridig Kemmerer has been officially been added to my list of favorite authors. . .  its a very short list. I love this authors writing, its very seldom that I will read books from the same author, but after reading both these...

Pancakes and Books

I think you may have guessed that I have a thing for pancakes. . . well you're right , when I am not thinking about books, I am definitely thinking about the soft delicate cloud of goodness that encompasses pancakes. "Mugg & bean" is definitely right up there on my list of choices as the best place to take your book out for a date while treating yourself to a bottomless Hot chocolate  and pancakes of course!